Hi, my name is Mike Hohlweg. I am not a doctor, nurse, or nutritionist. I am an average person like you but believe I understand the actual cause of Diverticulitis, Colitis and Crohn’s.
Everything on this website is my theory but if you give me a few minutes you might agree that the solution to the suffering and symptoms you experience with these diseases might be unnecessary.
Doctors are taught: diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s are incurable
- This “incurability” belief among doctors is documented. Let me prove it to you from medical websites:
- Diverticular disease: http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/patientinformation/nshealthnet/0274.pdf
- The theme of these articles seems to be that the even the cause of these diseases is unknown and there is no known cure. Treatment may or may not even reduce symptoms and although some people go into remission, patients will have either diverticular disease, colitis or Crohn’s until the day they die.
- Do you believe those “facts?” Remember that scurvy and polio were once “incurable.” Later the cures were discovered. Please give me just a few minutes of your time. I will not waste it.”
What causes diverticulitis, colitis, and Crohn’s?
Don’t Skip This Section, whatever you do!
Because the cause of these diseases is unknown (remember the medical links above) doctors have documented there is no known cure. They help people as much as they can by treating symptoms with drugs. This is valuable for many, because it increases their quality of life. It is not my favorite form of help because it is not permanent solution. Furthermore the drugs used to suppress symptoms include:
- Sulfa drugs (sulfasalizing)
- Corticosteroids (prednisone)
- 5-Aminosalicylates (Asacol, Pentasa, Rowasa, or 5-ASA)
- Immunosuppressives (Imuran, Cyclosporine, 6-MP, or Methotrezate)
- Anti_TNF (Remicade)
- Antibiotics such as (Metronidazole or Flagyl (™)and Ciprofloxacin or Cipro (™)
The real problem with these drugs is that if a sane person reads the side effects, they might run screaming from the room. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that when you are in pain, you eventually do what you have to, but read the side effects of these medications and you will notice that they closely resemble the problem and symptoms you are trying to get rid of. That scares me. Once when I told a doctor about the side effects being very serious, he told me: “Don’t worry, we have drugs to help with side effects too.”
Am I telling you that you should not take medication or antibiotics? Am I asking you not to seek medical attention? Absolutely not, that would be reckless and I am not qualified to do so. What I am saying is that a few dietary changes might have a dramatic effect on symptoms such as inflammation attacks, flare-ups, pain, bloating and food stagnation.
I am Michael Hohlweg, the author of Pain Free Foods. I have helped thousands of people with these diseases by developing an eating program for digestive disorders. After people try my eating program, fewer than 1 in 100 tell us that it did not work. To be honest, this does not mean it will work for you but please continue on for a couple more minutes.
Some people believe that diverticulitis; colitis and Crohn’s are not traditional diseases. With many diseases, microbes, bacteria, virus or toxicity within the body are the causes. To me, digestive disorders do not fit that definition. Instead, I believe that diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s are a condition of inflammation. At the very least, inflammation is the primary symptom for most people. If this is true, elimination of inflammation may be what is necessary to gain relief. This is what diet may help with. Of course colitis has many forms including ulcerative colitis and a dozen sub-categories. In Crohn’s, the inflammation is centralized in the small intestines and upper colon, not just the sigmoid. Crohn’s also includes other autoimmune related problems, so the three diseases certainly have their own set of particulars.
I believe that the same issue may cause diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s symptoms and therefore the solution to symptoms for all three is virtually identical. Before you dismiss my opinion, consider that I have helped over 7000 people find relief from all three issues using only diet alteration. Is it easy? Not necessarily. That would depend on the person but again if 99 out of 100 people find our program to be their relief solution and refuse our refund offer, I say that our program is very workable for the average person. We have many clients in their 80′s and 90′s who have succeeded at this. Many others with a caregiver or loved one, also succeed with their help.
Here is an analogy for you to help you understand why your body has not healed itself from this digestive disorder:
Let’s say that a certain person, (let’s call him John) is unaware that UV rays from the sun causes sunburns. John likes to work outside without his shirt to stay cool. During the summer, John keeps getting this red inflammation on his shoulders and chest that is painful and unpleasant but he does not know the cause of the problem. No one ever told him that a sunny day was a threat to the health of his skin. John continues to work in the sun and often gets badly burned. John tries salves, lotions, pain killers and folk remedies but he never gets better. In fact over time he is getting worse.
We all know what John’s mistake is and we could tell him that if he would just stop doing the one thing that was irritating his skin, his body would heal the burn and he would probably never get sunburned again. You and I know why John gets burned. To us it is simple.
The human body is equipped to deal with inflammation on its own. The problem with chronic inflammation is that we, like John are doing the same thing, day in and day out that caused the inflammation in the first place. John’s body cannot heal his sunburn while he continues to go out in the sun several times per week. If John never figures out the cause, he will never get better. It is the same for you. Could it be something simple that you are doing every day that keeps your digestive tract inflamed? I believe that it is and in a minute I am going to let you in on the secret.
Here are the most commonly recommended treatments for digestive disorders. Hint: They are treatments, none of them heal or cure. Do you continue to use these methods even though you know; in the long run … they don’t work?
- Drinking lots of water
- Using heating pads or water bottle
- Considering surgery to repair or remove damaged portions of the digestive tract
- Taking prescriptions to reduce symptoms and counter infection
- Trying to stay regular with drugs and fiber.
- Submitting to embarrassing procedures such as colonoscopies, enemas or scans.
- Using over the counter medications such as antacids and NSAIDS
- Following the Mayo Clinic Diet or other liquid or bland diet.
What are we missing?
Through my research and discovering how to get myself over my digestive disorder, I came to believe that the only things that could be inflaming the digestive tract were food, drink and stomach acid. Something in those few things must be causing all the trouble. But how could food, drink and stomach acid be culprits? It did not seem possible.
Obviously acid such as hydrochloric acid (stomach acid) could theoretically cause inflammation but isn’t the body designed to tolerate its own digestive acid? Could it be “too much” acid that is causing all this trouble? So I began to research. I found that acid is at the heart of the digestive disorders. Once I thought about it, some digestive disorders are even named after acid and it’s burning effect such as; “acid reflux” and “heartburn.” I wanted to know about the others. It turned out that the whole group of digestive disorders might be linked to the over (or even,under) production of acid. The diseases that may fit this description are: diverticulitis, colitis, Crohn’s, GERD, acid reflux, celiac, IBD, IBS, and heartburn.
If you are concerned about the validity of my theory, look at the medical references on this exact subject for reflux and GERD:
What might help me understand if Mike’s theory on stomach acid causing digestive inflammation is right or not?
I did hundreds of hours of research into this subject and here are some verifiable facts:
- Diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s (modern digestive disorders) have increased 20 fold in the last few decades. http://www.westonaprice.org/digestive-disorders/acid-reflux-a-red-flag
- Digestive disorders such, as Diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s exist in very few places. The populations of seven countries (there are over 190 countries) have virtually all the digestive disorders. See reference medical link below:
- These same countries (US, UK, CAN, AU, NZ, DE, and SA) all have a modern, “Westernized” diet that is not found elsewhere. http://www.nationmaster.com/red/pie/mor_oth_non_gas_and_col-mortality-other-noninfective-gastroenteritis-colitis
- Billions of people in much of Asia and Africa for instance, have virtually no incidence of digestive disorders (same reference).
What is the common denominator of these 7 troubled countries?
During a two year sabbatical overseas when I was 19, my digestive disorder seemed to “go away.” I had not intentionally done anything differently and had not taken any medications. The remission was not instant or dramatic. In fact I did not really even think much about it until later when I returned to the US. My bloating, pain and food stagnation all came screaming back. The only thing that was different, was my diet.
The recurrence was discouraging, but it was the foundation of a new theory that diet somehow causes the main symptom of digestive disorders which is inflammation. I had no doubt that somehow diet was causing my stomach to produce way too much acid. After all I could feel the acid burning my throat several times per week. Now I had to figure out how diet was causing the inflammation.
My research led me to believe that a few foods I started calling “catalyst foods” were acid triggers. I also found that many foods, combined with a “trigger food” became catalyst foods as well. Using this premise, I created a list of five foods that digestive disorder sufferers should never eat (catalyst foods). All other foods were fine to eat but not every food could be mixed with a “trigger food” in the same meal without causing acid. I did not just come up with a theory, I tested it.
First, of course I was the guinea pig. In less than two weeks following a couple of eating rules, I felt better, so I tried to recruit some acquaintances as volunteers. Two of my friends (a married couple); Patrick and Michelle each had a different digestive disorder. A doctor had told Patrick that his gall bladder was causing his digestive disorder and subsequently he allowed the doctor to remove it. Less than a year later he had the same problems back again full force. Michelle had diverticulitis. Both of them followed my catalyst food avoidance program and in less than six weeks they both reported to me that they no longer had symptoms. For Michelle especially, who was chronic, this was very exciting news. Note: No two people get the exact same result. Your results may vary.
Now I know what you are thinking: Three people is not a “clinical study.” I agree, but it was encouraging. I took my digestive disorder diet to the Internet and recruited 25 people willing to give it a try. One person dropped out saying it was too tough. The experiment went on for 8 weeks. At that time, one person said that the program did not help her. 23 people said that they had very positive results from the program. Again, I hesitate to specifically state exactly how good the results were. False or exaggerated claims are everywhere on the Internet and have caused tremendous problems for the few honest and functional solutions out here. Instead I again point to my refund rate as some evidence of customer satisfaction. The normal refund rate for programs of this type is 10% to 20% depending on cost, term of refund and website claims.
My customer refund rate (and there are NO CONDITIONS) is less than 1%. Although I make no claims of miracle cures or fast, or easy solutions, my refund rate supports an assumption that approximately 99% of my customers are satisfied. Results, not promises are what you want. Most websites deliver the other way around. Note: no one including me can guarantee your results!
How do we compare to doctors, medicines and other allopathic methods?
The methods used by doctors include removal of part of the sigmoid colon, colonoscopies, prescriptions and the world’s most famous diet; the “Mayo Clinic” diet for diverticular disease, colitis and Crohn’s patients. To our knowledge none of those things have ever caused a single patient to heal or be cured. Those methods either give a rest or reduce symptoms and that is fine if that is all you want. The Mayo Clinic diverticulitis diet (used for diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s) even says on its website that it does not cure anything. It will only give you a “rest.”
Read it from the Mayo Clinic itself: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diverticulitis-diet/my00736
Am I saying any of these things are bad? Of course not. Doctors know 100 times what I know about disease and proper medical treatment. I just believe that if you want to consider using your diet as a tool for getting your life back, you will be pleased with the quality of our research, the validity of our information and the effectiveness of our diet and the results of our catalyst food avoidance program. What this program does for you will please you beyond anything else you have tried or we will happily return your money and we have no conditions or delays and no fine print. Your digestive disorder is the only thing you have to lose!
Does this diet heal or cure you? Absolutely not!
We believe that the body heals itself once the source of any disease is removed. Remember John the sunburn guy? We are showing you what may be causing the problem and how to end that source of inflammation. According to our research and thousands of satisfied customers, your body will do the rest; in fact it is begging you to allow it to heal. Not an author such as myself nor any doctor can heal anyone of anything. The body heals when the source of a disease is removed.
Please give me one more minute to understand what you get when you order. The discounted “digital program” is delivered to your computer plus a free back up copy to your email inbox. Click on it and it opens right up for you to read. Any issues, just call or email us. We will walk you through it, 7 days a week.
- The short book: “Diverticulitis, Colitis and Crohn’s Pain Free Foods” that lists the 5 catalyst foods (never eat one of these 5 foods) and full color charts showing you which foods mixed together become catalyst foods. Avoid those mixes! Believe it or not you can still eat almost every food except the 5 catalyst foods.
- The 5-minute Quick Start Guide. With this, you don’t even have to read the book to get started. Your next bite, right out of your own refrigerator will be “on the program.”
- The online searchable recipe collection All the recipes (200 plus) are already preconfigured to avoid catalyst foods and mixes so you can just eat from any recipe in the collection.
- The book: “50 Things You Absolutely Must Know.” This book contains the answer to nearly every question we hear after coaching thousands of people over several years. Answers to: How to avoid or stop an attack, stopping diarrhea, ending constipation and 47 other “must know” topics no one else seems to answer!
- The book: “7-day Menu and Shopping List.” For those of you who don’t want to think about this at all, we actually give you a shopping list and 21 breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Follow the 7-day menu and you are on the program. Note: Since we don’t require you to eat special food, you can do this complete program without buying special foods at all. The shopping list is only for those who don’t want to think about the plan but receive the benefits of following it.
- The Pain Free Foods newsletter. Delivered to your email weekly for five months. Some of the best tips regarding medicine reduction, using the program with your doctor’s advice, being pain free, tips, tricks to help you get well and have a life.
- The “Eat Out Guide.” This is the handy chart that you can use to keep you on track eating at a friend’s house or at a restaurant. You will be able to eat normal foods, anywhere as long as you have this chart.
- Unlimited email support for a full year. Helping you succeed is what we do. Most emails answered within 4 hours, 7 days a week!
- Now you might be thinking; “this sounds expensive,” perhaps worth $150 or more. Our intent is to help everyone, so you are about to be surprised at how reasonable something of this quality can be.
Is this going to be difficult?
We like to under promise and over deliver so the best answer is yes, changing your diet even in small ways is going to be difficult. You are going to give up 5 foods altogether (most people with digestive disorders eat one or two of them daily) and every meal you eat for the next few weeks will have some slight modification to it to keep it “non-catalyst.” You will be annoyed and consider quitting. However, trust us on this one point:
IT IS WORTH IT!
Diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s Pain Free Foods. For two years, this book has sold out at every printing and has helped thousands with the solution for diverticulitis colitis and Crohn’s for good. People who have read these 20 plus pages tell us they don’t know how they lived without this book. Worth much more than anything you have ever read about diverticulitis, colitis, or Crohn’s.
$28 Retail Value
Recipe Collection: Grab these 200 mouth watering, no pain, diet recipes for FREE when you get the diverticulitis pain free program today. Great entrees, desserts, breads, smoothies, and snacks. The catalyst food rules are already built in for you. No thinking necessary. Just choose and eat. This type of book alone sells for $15 to $49.
$27 Retail Value – Yours Free
The Eat Out Guide: Dont get caught off guard when you go out with your family and friends. With this FREE eat out guide for diverticulitis, colitis, and Crohn’s sufferers. So many of our customers were concerned about the fact that it is easy to follow the diet while at home…. but what do you do when you are out eating with friends or visiting family? We solved that problem with this eat out guide that clearly shows you how to enjoy normal day to day eating without accidentally eating a catalyst meal.
$3 Retail Value – Yours Free
The 7-day menu and shopping list: As clear and straightforward as the program is, some people just like to be told what to eat right now without having to read rules or make up their own menu. This is the answer. We give you 21 meals and a shopping list for the grocery store to be able to make them. Check your fridge first so you don’t buy things you already have and you are ready to shop and eat. The only way to make it easier than this is if we came to your house and did the cooking for you (no we won’t come to your home and cook for you)!
$15 Retail Value – Yours Free
Diverticulitis, colitis and Crohn’s Newsletter, 5 month subscription: Get the latest news on digestive disorder news, from pain medicine to “ending toilet drama” and more…Now you can stay up to date with the latest news on diverticulitis, colitis, and Crohn’s.
$37 Retail Value – Yours Free
Ongoing Email Support: Value $35 – Yours Free
Contact us anytime about anything, 7 days a week. Email: painfreefoods@hughes(dot)net. Rachel is glad to help. No other online program provides you with this quality of support!
50 things you must know: Besides the Pain Free Foods book to help you get well, you need to know how to treat diarrhea, constipation, how to safely eat what you have in the fridge or cupboard, how to keep from having attacks or flare-ups. How to stop an attack that is starting now. What about coffee, tea or alcohol? Every question we are commonly asked in 5 years of coaching is in the “50 Things You Absolutely Must Know” book. Stop a single attack or have just one great month… you will say this book alone is worth $100!
$25 Retail Value – Yours Free